The fear of failure has to be the most underestimated reason for a lack of meaningful success.
Fear is the reason for procrastination. The all too familiar “I’ll do it tomorrow” syndrome.
Similar but a little different to procrastination is the inability to complete things that you have started, many times.
Whilst for non sufferers it may seem a little dramatic to describe fear as a form of mental disorder it is, if nothing else, a terrible malady. Fear, it is very real and a very large stumbling block to your success.
Many people just don’t do anything because of this irrational fear of failing which is the underlying problem to the whole issue and why this quote by J.K. Rowling is so pertinent.
“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.”
― J.K. Rowling
For some clarity. fear is different things to different people, and I am not talking about the fight or flight type of fear, that is a perfectly normal fear of fearful things.
Fear of failure is a mindset with some people regarding a failure as simply a learning experience and not something to fear whilst with others it is a gut wrenching experience that stops you achieving your goals because of an irrational fear of the consequences should you fail.
So how to help over come this fear?
- Fear can come from a sense of shame or a fear of being wrong if you volunteer and answer or even try a sport where you might fail. Sound familiar? Change of environment or even creating an environment with like-minded people, similar mind sets and abilities can be great for moral and confidence boosting and go a long way to eliminating any fear emanating from a misplaced sense of shame.
- Avoiding the problem or perceived problem is not going to make it go away, ask the ostrich who eventually had to take his head out the sand to find the problem still there. So you either stick your head back on the sand or do something about the issue. Avoidance provides short term solutions, confronting allows long term solutions. Easier said than done but as with most fears that to some are irrational is to rationalise the problem and again look to surrounding yourself with like-minded people which would make working out the problem a little easier would it not?
- Focusing on yourself and your achievements and small, or large, success rather than comparing yourself to other people and learning from your own mistakes will get you ahead of the game and increase self motivation and confidence. Don’t judge yourself on the achievements of others. Don’t bang yourself up over failures… they happen, they happen to everybody not just you!
- It probably will never happen or even if it does this quote by the Dalai Lama should put what ever happens into some sort of perspective and help you rationalise your fears. If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever. Dalai Lama XIV
- In a similar vein you need to ignore issues you have no control of and focus on what you can control or change. Focus on the process and what you need to do to achieve the desired outcome. Don’t focus on the outcome, that is normally not something you can control. By focusing on, and achieving the steps needed to get to your outcome will increase confidence and eradicate the fear of the unknown.
- Let it all out a problem shared is problem halved or so the saying goes and there is no reason why this can not apply to a fear as well. You are not alone with your fear of failure nor in your desire to over come in and make steps towards your goals in life.
This blog site is about learning to earn which is an area where a fear of failure has a great impact on your success. The best way of over coming fears in areas you want to succeed in can be through like-minded communities which is why we recommend communities like Wealthy Affiliate which currently has a membership in excess of one and a half million all with a goal of succeeding in their chosen niche while at the same time helping you to succeed in their own.
This is not a sales promotion as the site offers you a whole learning experience plus 24/7 support along with a whole host of other benefits all at no cost to you.
Give it a quick look, you have nothing to lose but your fear of failure.
The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard